Summary of qualifications
- 1972 - 1974 - P.D.C. - St. Michael's College, Cherthala
- 1974 - 1977 -B.Sc.- [Zoology] - Deva Matha College, Kuravilangad.
- Graduated from FTII, Pune in 1983 [PG Diploma in Motion Picture Photography.
- 1983 – 1985 Worked as an associate/assistant
cinematographer with Shri. Venu, Shri. Shaji N Karun and
Shri. Madhu Ambat.
- 1999 - Observer in the direction department with KRZYSZTOF
ZANUSSI during the shooting of his film –‘DEATH AS A FATAL
SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASE’- in Poland
- 1983 - 1985 - First assistant to cinematographers Venu, Shaji and Madhu Ambattu
- 1985 - 1987 - Producer/ Cameraman/ Editor at Christian Medical College, Vellore.
- Directed more than ten short films and two TV serials.
- 1987 – Present, 27 years of work experience in the Indian
Film Industry. Worked as a cinematographer in eleven Indian
languages [Malayalam, Bengali, Tamil, Kannada, Telugu,
Hindi, Manipuri, Punjabi, Rajasthani, Konkani and English],
for about 55 feature films, many short films and
- 1985 -1987, worked as a Producer, Cinematographer, Editor
producing Continuing Medical Education Films, with
Christian Medical College, Vellore.
- Creative Consultant at LV Prasad Film & TV Academy, Chennai
during 2005 – 2013. Founder HOD, Cinematography Department
Chennai during 2005-2008. From August 2012 to August 2013
HOD, Direction department.
- Teaches/conduct regular workshops at FTII - Pune; SRFTI -
Kolkata; Amritha School, Cochin and C-DIT – Trivandrum and
other colleges in India and abroad.
- Course Director for three Film Appreciation courses
conducted by Kerala State Chalachitra Academy.
- 2014 august onwards-Director and HOD Cinematography department at Revathy Kalamandir Trivandrum.
Memberships & Designations
- Managing Trustee, ISC [Indian Socity of Cinematographers]
- President, CUMAC [Cinematographers Union of Malayalam
- General Secretary, AICA [All India Cinematographers
- Life Member, SICA [South Indian Cinematographer's
- Life Member, MACTA [Malayalam Cine Technician's
- Life Member, CTA [Cine Technician's Association of South
Other film related experiences
- Ex-Director in the Board of Directors of Kerala State Film Development Corporation.
- Ex-Member, in the General Council of the Kerala State Chalachitra Academy.
- Ex-Member, in the Academic Council, Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.
- Ex-Member, in the Technical Committee, Satyajith Ray Film and Television Institute, Kolkata.
- Ex-Member in the Syllabus Committee, Film and Television Institute of India.
- Jury member, Kerala State Government Film Awards – 2009
- Jury member, National Film Awards [Government of India] – 2009
- Jury Chairman, John Abraham Awards, 2009 and 2014
- Festival Director, International Film Festival of Trichur - 2008
- NETPAC Jury Member, Vesoul International Film Festival of Asian Films, France 2014.
- Jury Member, first SIGNS Film Festival organized by FFSI Kerala Region.
- Member board of studies K.R Narayanan National Institute of Visual Sciences and Arts
Seminars & Publications
- 2013 - Presented a paper titled 'Imagology – Love In The Time Of Global Madness” at the Madras Christian College, Chennai – organized by the Philosophy Department.
- 2011 - Delivered the first KK MAHAJAN MEMORIAL LECTURE 'Eye and the Infinite Image', at Film and Television Institute
of India, as part of the 50th anniversary celebration of FTII.
- Presented the Academic Paper – 'Cinema Is Love 24 Times per Second' at the International Conference on 'Film and
Philosophy' organized by the Philosophy Department of Calicut University, Kerala. The paper was also included in the book 'Film and Philosophy' published by the University.
- Presented the Academic Paper– 'The Theme of Darkness in Cinematography' at the National Seminar on 'Word to Image' organized by Cinematographer's Combine, Mumbai.
- 'The Theme of Darkness in Cinematography' was also published by IMAGO [European Federation of Cinematographers] at their website.
- Owner and Moderator of a mailing list on Cinematography ‘ISC_ML’ and the mailing list of FTII graduates – 'Wisdomtree', for more than ten years.
- Chief Editor, 'Aperture' magazine, published by FUJI during 2012-2013
- Participated as a Delegate at the Annual General Body Meeting of IMAGO, [European Federation of Cinematographers] in Torun, Poland in 1999 representing ISC [Indian Society of Cinematographers]
- Participated as a Delegate at the First International Conference on Authorship Rights of Cinematographers, in Huelva, Spain in 2004 representing ISC [Indian Society of Cinematographers].
Major films in which I have worked as a Cinematographer
Most of these films have won awards/screened at State, National and
International Film Festivals.
- VASTHUHARA – dir. G Aravindan [Malayalam]
- PIRAVI – dir. Shaji N Karun [Malayalam]
- NIZHALKUTHU – dir. Adoor Gopalakrishnan [Malayalam/Tamil]
- TRAIN TO PAKISTAN - dir. Pamela Rooks [Hindi/Punjabi]
- AMI, IYASIN AUR AMAR MADHUBALA – dir. Buddhadeb Dasgupta [Bengali]
- KSHANAKKATHU – dir. Rajivkumar [Malayalam]
- MANGAMMA – dir. TV Chandran [Malayalam]
- DAYA – Dir. Venu [Malayalam]
- ORU CHERU PUNCHIRI – dir. MT Vasudevan Nair [Malayalam]
- KAHINI – dir. Malay Bhattacharya [Bengali]
- SANABI – dir. Aribam Shyam Sharma [Manipuri]
- AMERICA AMERICA - dir. Nagathahalli Chandrashekhar [Kannada] [This film had a box-office run for more than a year]
- MOHAMULLU - dir. Rajashekaharan [Tamil]
- ORE THOOVAL PAKKSHIKAL – dir. Ravindran [Malayalam]
- SWAYAMVARAPPANTHAL – dir. Harikumar [Malayalam]
- UNNI – dir. G Aravindan [English]
- TILADAANAM – dir. KNT Sastry [Telugu]
- MANGO SOUFFLE – dir. Mahesh Dattani [English]
- DANCE LIKE A MAN – dir. Pamela Rooks [English]
- DEIVANAMTHIL – dir. Jayaraj [Malayalam]
- KAMLI – dir. KNT Sastry [Telugu]
- GODESSES – dir. Leena Manimekalai [Tamil] Documentary.
- JANALA – dir. Buddhadeb Dasgupta [Bengali]
- CHINTHUJI – dir. Ranjith Kapoor [Hindi]
- HAAT – dir. Seema Kapoor [Rajasthani/Hindi]
- DE NOVA - dir. Swabri [Malayalam/Digital]- 2010
- SADGAMAYA - dir. Harikumar [Malayalam]- 2010
- OH MARIA - dir. Rajendra Talak [Konkini]- 2011 [First ever film to have a Silver Jubilee Run in Goa]
- WOH - dir. Buddhadeb Dasgupta [Hindi] – 2011
- RAMANUJAN – dir. Gnana Rajasekaran [Tamil/English] 2014
- THE PREGNANT KING – dir. Rajivkumar [English] 2014 Under Production.
- SWEET HOME – dir. Sohini Dasgupta [Hindi] 2014 Under production.
Films in which I have worked as Director
- THE CLOWN AND THE DOG – 1983. On the theme of revolutionary violence.
- AKSHARAM - A motivational film on the education of the girl child.
- THARANGAM – Educational/medical film on epilepsy.
- NINAVUKAL NOVUKAL - 32 Episodes. TV serial.
- RAGARDRAM - 56 Episodes. TV serial.
- PUNARJJANIYUDE GEETHAM - Motivational spot on arrack ban
- PERITONEAL DIALYSYS - Continuing medical education program.
- SURGICAL DRESSING - Continuing medical education program.
- GRAMA SABHA - Motivational film on people's planning
- RETURN TO EXISTENCE - Film on the life and struggles of the tribal people of Wynad, Kerala.
- MAALAKHAPOOVU – Educational/awareness film on sexual abuse of girl children.
- SNEHATHINTE SOORYA TEJASU – 2010. A biographical film on Paanakkad Shihab Thangal
- MALAYALIKALUDE SWANTHAM KUNJOONJU – 2013. A biographical film on Shri. Oommen Chandy.
- 1984 - National Film Award for “THE CLOWN AND THE DOG” - Best Experimental Film.
- 1987 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Color Photography for “PIRAVI”.
- 1991 - Kerala State TV award for Best Videography for “ITHALUKAL”
- 1988 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Colour
Photography for ‘PIRAVI’
- 1988 - Critics Film Award for Best Colour photography
- 1992 - Kerala State TV Award for Best Videography for
‘MANIKKAN ‘• 1993 – Clown and the Dog was screened at the FTII
Retrospective held in Oberhausen in 1993.
- 1994 - Kerala State TV Award for 2nd Best Tele Film for “THARANGAM”.
- 1995 - • 1995 - International Video Film Festival, IVFEST for
3rd Best Film under the category of Health and
Population for ‘THARANGAM’.
- 1999 - NANA Award for Best TV Serial and Best Director for the TV Serial “NINAVUKAL NOVUKAL”
- 2001 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Color Photography for “SWAYAMVARAPPANTHAL”
- 2001 - Kerala State Film Award for Best Colour
Photography for ‘SWAYAMVARAPPANTHAL’.
- 2002 - Clown and the Dog screened at the CLAPSTICK
2002 festival in Kolkata.
- 2003 Award for excellence in cinematography for NIZHALKUTHU
- 2004 – Kerala Film Critics Award for Best Television
Serial for 'RAGARDRAM'. It also won awards for Best
Actor for Nedumudi Venu and Best Male Singer.
- 2006 – Jeevan TV Award for Best Videography for
- 2011 - Screening of PIRAVI in India Gate 2011 Film
Festival, Italy dedicated to Subrata Mitra.